Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carbondale in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gravity Railroad

 
 
Gravity Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 28, 2015
1. Gravity Railroad Marker
Inscription. Here began one of the first railroads in the Western Hemisphere, built 1828-1829. The line had its eastern terminus at Honesdale; its southwestern terminus was later extended to Archbald & ultimately to Valley Junction near Olyphant. Built by the Delaware & Hudson to move coal to the D & H Canal, this line eventually provided passenger service and operated until the beginning of 1899.
 
Erected 1999 by Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 34.517′ N, 75° 29.869′ W. Marker is in Carbondale, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is at the intersection of Canaan Street (Business U.S. 6) and Belmont Street on Canaan Street. Touch for map. The marker is located at the rear entrance to Gravity Park. Marker is in this post office area: Carbondale PA 18407, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gravity Railroad Monument (a few steps from this marker); Gravity Park and the Gravity Railroad Historic Site (a few steps from this marker); Gravity Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Church Street: Five of Carbondale’s many historic Churches (approx. 0.3 miles away);
Gravity Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 28, 2015
2. Gravity Railroad Marker
General Jerome F. O’Malley (approx. 0.3 miles away); Col. Alvin D. Ungerleider (approx. 0.3 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carbondale.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement