Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon

 
 
Isaac Cappon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 13, 2015
1. Isaac Cappon Marker
Inscription. Isaac Cappon

Isaac Cappon (1830 - 1902) emigrated from the Netherlands to the United States in 1847. After a brief stay in Rochester, New York, he came to Michigan's Holland Colony in 1848. Here he worked as a laborer in a local tannery. In 1857 he helped found the Cappon & Bertsch Leather Co., one of Holland's leading nineteenth century industries. When Holland incorporated in 1867, Cappon became its first mayor. He held that office for four subsequent but not successive terms. Cappon was prominent in both church and civic affairs.

The Cappon House

Completed in 1874, this Italianate home was built by John R. Kleyn for Isaac Cappon. Erected in the aftermath of the devastating Holland fire of 1871, the Cappon House is one of the finest extant homes in the city. It remained in the Cappon family until the death of Isaac's daughter Lavina in 1978. Its furnishings were willed to the Netherlands Museum, which with the help of the city acquired the property in 1981. Volunteer groups have restored and preserved the elegant home.
 
Erected 1984 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L1134.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location.
The Cappon House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 13, 2015
2. The Cappon House Marker
42° 47.351′ N, 86° 7.05′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of West Ninth Street and Washington Blvd., on the right when traveling east on West Ninth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 228 West Ninth Street,, Holland MI 49423, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Third Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Holland Post Office (approx. half a mile away); Dutch in Michigan (approx. half a mile away); Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church (approx. half a mile away); Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2 (approx. 0.8 miles away); The First Pioneers of Graafschap (approx. 2.7 miles away); Graafschap Christian Reformed Church (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
The Cappon House image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 13, 2015
3. The Cappon House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement