Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Midway in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dorchester Presbyterian Church

 
 
Dorchester Presbyterian Church Marker close-up image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
1. Dorchester Presbyterian Church Marker close-up
Inscription. This church, built in 1854 on a lot of four acres donated by B.A. Busbee, was first used for summer services only. On January 6, 1871, it was admitted into the Savannah Presbytery as an organized church of 14 members. The Rev. J. W. Montgomery was the first pastor. L.J. Mallard was the first ruling elder. The bell, from old Sunbury, was once used for church, school, market and town. The font and communion service are from Midway Church. The font was a gift from Dr. William McWhir, the tankard from John Lambert, the communion service from Simon Monroe, Esq. Elders contributing most in later years - Preston Waite and Charles B. Jones.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 45.543′ N, 81° 21.291′ W. Marker is near Midway, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker can be reached from John Oxford Road 0.3 miles south of Brigdon Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dorchester Village (approx. mile away); The Sunbury Cemetery
Dorchester Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2006
2. Dorchester Presbyterian Church Marker
(approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Fort Morris (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Old Sunbury Road (approx. 4.3 miles away); Sunbury (approx. 4.4 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker is located at the church, just off Brigdon Road, about 0.3 mile southwest of Islands Highway. There is also a Georgia Historic Marker titled, "Dorchester Village", at the intersection of Islands Highway and Brigdon Road.
 
Regarding Dorchester Presbyterian Church. The church is one of three "daughter churches" of Midway Church.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
Dorchester Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2006
3. Dorchester Presbyterian Church and Marker
Dorchester Presbyterian Church, new coat of paint in 2008 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
4. Dorchester Presbyterian Church, new coat of paint in 2008
Another view of Dorchester Presbyterian Church, in 2009 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 20, 2009
5. Another view of Dorchester Presbyterian Church, in 2009
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,757 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5. submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement