Chadron in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Historic Northwestern Nebraska
1.Camp/Fort Robinson (1874-1948) Site of the death of Oglala Sioux leader Crazy Horse (September 1877); Cheyenne Outbreak (January 1879); black U.S. cavalry garrisons (1885-1906); world's largest army remount depot ls (1920s-1940s); WWII German POW camp (1943-46); war dog training center (1942-45). Museum, Historical Markers. Restored and Reconstructed Buildings.
2. Red Cloud Agency (1873—77) Government agency for Red Clouds Oglala Sioux. Relocated to Dakota Territory, 1878, and renamed Pine Ridge Agency. Historical Marker.
4. Last Camp of Crazy Horse (1877) After his surrender to the army in May, Oglala Sioux leader Crazy Horse camped in this vicinity before he was killed at Camp Robinson in September.
5. Crow Butte (1849) Crow Indian raiders took refuge atop this butte after stealing horses from the Bordeaux Trading Post in l849. Although surrounded by pursuing Brule Sioux, the Crows escaped in the night providing this landmark's name. Historical Marker on U.S. 20.
6. Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad (1885-86) The railroad reached Chadron in 1885, and Fort Robinson the following year. Historical Marker at Fort Robinson.
7. Grand Council (Allison Commission) (September 1875) Government commissioners met with thousands of Sioux, Cheyennes, and Arapahos in a failed attempt to buy the Black Hills. Historical Marker on County Road.
8. Whetstone Agency (1871-72) Third location of the government agency for Spotted Tail‘s Brule Sioux.
9. First Chadron Townsite (1884-85) Tents and temporary buildings occupied the first Chadron
10. Northern Cheyenne Disarming (October 1878) After fleeing an Oklahoma reservation, Dull Knife's Northern Cheyennes were captured by soldiers and brought here to a cavalry camp, where they were, disarmed before being taken to Camp Robinson.
11. Red Cloud and Red Leaf Camps. (October 1876) Soldiers from Camp Robinson surrounded the camps, confiscated the Indian's guns and horses, and forced Red Cloud and Red Leaf’s bands back to Red Cloud Agency.
12. Chadron Creek Trading Post (1842-45) Louis Chartran, namesake of present Chadron, operated a trading post here. Historical Marker on U.S. 385.
13. Fort Laramie to Fort Pierre Fur Trade Trail (ca. 1837-50) Trade goods and bison robes were hauled between Fort Laramie on the Platte River and Fort Pierre on the Missouri River over a trail followed the White River through this area. Historical Markers on U.S. 385.
14. Dawes County/Chadron (1885) Dawes County was organized in 1885, and Chadron was made the county seat that August.
15. Chadron to Chicago One Thousand Mile Horse Race (June 1893) Nine riders left the starting point at the Blame Hotel in downtown Chadron on a race to Chicago. Historical Marker in Chadron.
16. Joseph Bissonette Trading Post (1871-77) Trading post for the Brule and Oglala Sioux.
17. Peter B. Nelson Store and Post Office (1878-86) Store, saloon, and post office serving travelers along the road from Fort Robinson to Pine Ridge Indian Agency in Dakota Territory. Nelson was the first white settler in Dawes County.
18. James Bordeaux Trading Post (1837-76) The Museum of the Fur Trade occupies the site of this American Fur Company post first operated by James Bordeaux. Museum, Historical Marker, Reconstructed Buildings.
19. Whetstone Agency (1873-74) Fourth location of the government agency for Spotted Tail's Brule Sioux.
20. Spotted Tail Agency (1875-77) Final Nebraska location for Spotted Tail's Brule Sioux. Relocated to Dakota Territory, 1878, and renamed Rosebud Agency. Historical Marker in Hay Springs.
21. Camp Sheridan (1875-81) Military post established to guard the Spotted Tail Agency. Historical Marker in Hay Springs.
22. Fort Robinson to Camp Sheridan to Pine Ridge Agency Military, Freight, and Stagecoach Road (1874-86). Historical Markers; here and county roads.
23. Pine Ridge Agency to Camp Sheridan to Fort Robinson Telegraph Line (1881). A government telegraph line connecting the agency and the military camps paralleled the military. freight. and stagecoach road.
Erected by Dawes County Historical Society, Nebraska State Historical Society and ,Nebraska Department of Roads Transportation Enhancement Program.
Location. 42° 48.828′ N, 103° 1.11′ W. Marker is in Chadron, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 385 and West 16th Street, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 385. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chadron NE 69337, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Robinson - Camp Sheridan - Pine Ridge Indian Agency Road (here, next to this marker); The Chadron-Chicago Cowboy Race (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail (approx. 2.9 miles away); Paha Sapa (approx. 2.9 miles away); Bordeaux Trading Post (approx. 4.1 miles away); Chadron Creek Trading Post (approx. 4.6 miles away).
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.