Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Baltimore City Courthouse

 
 
Baltimore City Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
1. Baltimore City Courthouse Marker
Inscription. This “noble pile” as it was described at the dedication of January 8, 1900, is the third courthouse built on Monument Square. When Calvert Street was leveled in 1784, the original courthouse—site of the May 1774 Stamp Act Protest and the July 1776 reading of the Declaration of Independence—was saved from demolition by being raised high above the street level on stone archways. In 1805, when the small building could no longer serve the growing population, a second courthouse was erected on the west side of Calvert Street.

Ninety years later, that courthouse was razed and a design competition was held for the present building. Leading architects from around the country presented design schemes which aimed to combine simplicity with dignity. J. B. Noel Wyatt and William G. Nolting’s award winning design of Beaux-Arts classicism demonstrated the taste of the period for strict symmetry, massive columns and clear definition of parts.

The interior of the courthouse, richly ornamented with marble and mahogany, is notable for its Orphans Court, Bar Library and Supreme Bench Rotunda. Bold, vivid murals deplicting ancient lawgivers and Maryland historical events decorate the court rooms, vestibules and halls. The Baltimore City Courthouse was the site of the 1979 film “And Justice for All.”
Baltimore City Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 27, 2015
2. Baltimore City Courthouse Marker

 
Erected by the City of Baltimore, William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.452′ N, 76° 36.751′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of North Calvert Street and Lafayette Street, on the left when traveling north on North Calvert Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 North Calvert Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Discover Baltimore: The Monumental City (a few steps from this marker); Old Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lenore (within shouting distance of this marker); The Equitable Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Munsey Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cecilius Calvert (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .  A Guide To The Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr., Courthouse, Baltimore, Maryland;
Baltimore City Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 27, 2015
3. Baltimore City Courthouse
. (PDF) Prepared by James F. Schneider, Historian and Archivist of the Circuit Court for Baltimore City. (Submitted on October 6, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. 20th CenturyColonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Baltimore City Courthouse with Battle Monument image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
4. Baltimore City Courthouse with Battle Monument
The First Courthouse (On Stilts) image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 27, 2015
5. The First Courthouse (On Stilts)
Close-up on image on Battle Monument marker
First Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 27, 2015
6. First Courthouse
Close-up of image on marker
Second Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 27, 2015
7. Second Courthouse
Close-up of image on marker
The Third Baltimore City Courthouse c. 1903 image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
8. The Third Baltimore City Courthouse c. 1903
Angry Lion image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 27, 2015
9. Angry Lion
Architectural detail over the doors of the Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,587 times since then and 75 times this year. Last updated on October 6, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on September 25, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4. submitted on September 25, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 6, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement