Near Mina in Mineral County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Belleville was famous for murders, drunken brawls, "sporting" and practical jokes. It was also the terminus and work camp of the Carson and Colorado Railroad that reached town in 1882. At that time Belleville's population peaked at about 500 and included an assay office, an express office, a telegraph station, a livery stable, a schoolhouse, two hotels, several restaurants and blacksmith's shops, and seven saloons.
By the late 1880's pipes delivered water to Candelaria and allowed local mills to begin operation reducing the need for shipping costs. Belleville could not survive the competition and was deserted by 1892.
Erected by State Historic Preservation Office. Mineral County Antique Bottle Club. (Marker Number 154.)
Location. 38° 13.375′ N, 118° 10.819′ W. Marker is near Mina, Nevada, in Mineral County. Marker is on Highway 360, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mina NV 89422, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 Rhodes Marsh (approx. 5.6 miles away); Candelaria and Metallic City (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Also see . . . The Carson & Colorado Railroad. (Submitted on October 10, 2015.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2015, by Trev Meed of Round Mountain, Nevada. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 8, 2015, by Trev Meed of Round Mountain, Nevada. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 9, 2015, by Trev Meed of Round Mountain, Nevada. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.