Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Father Louis Hennepin
Franciscan Missionary and
Chronicler of La Salle's Expedition
1678 - 9
Erected 1910 by Knights of Columbus.
Location. 43° 5.234′ N, 79° 4.081′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from Robert Moses Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is in Niagara State Falls Park. From Robert Moses Parkway continue on the Parkway as it turns into Prospect Street. Signs will direct you to Niagara Falls State Park’s parking lots. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara Falls NY 14303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First People to See the Falls (a few steps from this marker); Height, Sight, and Flight / The Niagara River Corridor Important Bird Area (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prospect Point Viewing Area (about 400 feet away); The Falls View Bridges (about 600 Town of Niagara Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Niagara's Industrial Beginnings and the Establishment of the State Reservation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Niagara County Medal of Honor Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bridges of Niagara (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
Also see . . .
1. Niagara Falls State Park. (Submitted on July 7, 2008.)
2. Louis Hennepin. Biography at the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online (Submitted on July 7, 2008.)
3. Louis Hennepin. Article on Louis Hennepin in the Catholic Encyclopedia (Submitted on July 7, 2008.)
4. Niagara Power Project Visitors Center - New York Power Authority. (Submitted on March 8, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
5. Thomas Hart Benton - Wikipedia. Painter of "Father Hennepin Viewing Niagara Falls 1678" (Submitted on March 8, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Exploration • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,574 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2008. 4. submitted on March 8, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.