Near Clio in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Barbour County's “Little Scotland"/Pea River Presbyterian Church
Barbour County’s “Little Scotland”
In the 1820’s before the Creek Indian Cession, Scot immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, settled this area of west Barbour County. Few other regions outside the motherland of Scotland have had a larger proportion of people bearing the names of the great Highland clans. Between 1823-1960 within a five mile radius of Pea River Church, Highlanders with the names of Baxter, Currie, McCall, McDonald, McEachern, McInnis, McKay, McKinnon, McLean, McLendon, McLeod, McNeal and McRae lived. The families, serving the Lord, earned for the area the name “Little Scotland.”
Pea River Presbyterian Church
Erected 1993 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Pea River
Location. 31° 44.309′ N, 85° 36.201′ W. Marker is near Clio, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on Alabama Route 51 north of Clio Short Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located at Pea River Presbyterian Church. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville AL 36048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barbour County High School (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Old County Court House (approx. 4˝ miles away); Louisville (approx. 4.6 miles away); Pea River Electric Membership Corporation (approx. 7.7 miles away); Blue Springs School 1920-1969 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Peniel Baptist Church (approx. 10.8 miles away); Union Presbyterian Church/Founders and Early Pastors (approx. 11.8 miles away); Miller – Martin Townhouse (approx. 13 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 110 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.