Sinclair in Carbon County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Parco Inn
The motif for Parco's architecture is Spanish Colonial, featuring tile roofs, stucco exteriors and iron balconies. The sixty-room Parco Inn, which opened for business on May 31, 1925, spans an entire block and features two five story bell towner. Single story wings extend from both sides of the hotel to house shops and other businesses. A long arched vestibule leads to the tiled main lobby, where wrought iron balconies on the second floor overlook the lobby below. Twin stairways lead to the upper floors. Exposed hand-painted cedar beams, featuring stencils designed by Thomas Arrak of Denver, support stained glass skylights. Other notable architectural details include arched colonnades, impost moldings, dentiled string cornices, neo-baroque spiral columns, a ballroom and a large fireplace. Although guests could dine in the Inn's coffee shop, the Parco Inn was most noted for its famous Fountain Room restaurant. Live trout were stocked in the pool of the Fountain Room and
Parco fell on hard times during the Great Depression and in 1934 the town site, refinery and oil fields were sold to Harry Sinclair's Consolidated Oil, later named the Sinclair Refining Company. The town's name was changed to Sinclair in 1942. In 1967, the Sinclair Refinery Company sold most of the town site to local residents and the Parco Inn has been under private ownership since that time.
Erected by Wyoming State Archives and Historical Department.
Location. 41° 46.744′ N, 107° 6.905′ W. Marker is in Sinclair, Wyoming, in Carbon County. Marker is on Lincoln Avenue near 4th Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Lincoln Avenue, Sinclair WY 82334, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Cannons (a few steps from this marker); Rawlins (approx. 6½ miles away); William Daley Flagpole (approx. 6½ miles away); Wyoming State Penitentiary (approx. 6.6 miles away); Rawlins Springs (approx. 6.7 miles away); Rawlins Paint Mines (approx. Early Construction (approx. 8½ miles away); Fort Fred Steele State Historic Site (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sinclair.
More about this marker. The marker is at the east end of the meridian island in front of the Parco Inn.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.