Clinton in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1950 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 32° 20.205′ N, 90° 19.834′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West College Street and Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Located in garden area, just up the stairs from College Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: West College Street, Clinton MS 39058, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Love is Immortal” (a few steps from this marker); Mississippi College (within shouting distance of this marker); Tanglewood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Caldwell Assassination (approx. ¼ mile away); Hillman College (approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. Walter Hillman Clinton Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cowles Mead Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
More about this marker. Expansion of abbreviated text on marker:
Pioneer Baptist minister who, in 1824, settled in Hinds County and organized Union Church in the Society Ridge Community. A founder of the Mississippi Baptist Convention in 1836, he influenced that body to acquire Mississippi College in 1850.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.