Los Alamitos in Orange County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Isidore Historical Plaza
In 1924, the Bixby Land Company assigned the southwest corner of Church Street and Main Street (now Katella Avenue and Reagan Street) to the Roman Catholic Bishop of Monterey and Los Angeles for the filing fee of ten ($10.00) dollars. The property was used to build the first Catholic church in Los Alamitos. First Pastor assigned to St. Isidore was Father Miguel Santacana when it was built and opened in 1926.
The year 1933 saw much of the building destroyed in the Long Beach earthquake. The parishioners rebuild St. Isidore to its present Spanish Revival architecture style that stands today.
The Orange Diocese closed St. Isidore in 1960 when St. Hedwig Catholic Church was opened on Los Alamitos Boulevard. In 1972, Father Quinn reopened St. Isidore and had the hall built to serve as a family center.
In May, 1999, the Orange Diocese once again closed St. Isidore with the last service being held on the last Sunday of the month, September 26, 1999.
With the closing of the church, a committee of dedicated parishioners and community
The Los Alamitos Museum Association on November 29, 2011, designated the chapel building at St. Isidore Historical Plaza, as the oldest remaining community building in Los Alamitos. The dedicated was held on June 10, 2012.
Erected 2012 by Los Alamitos Museum Association.
Location. 33° 48.203′ N, 118° 4.166′ W. Marker is in Los Alamitos, California, in Orange County. Marker is on Reagan Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10997 Reagan Street, Los Alamitos CA 90720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Big Saw (approx. ¼ mile away); Los Alamitos Sugar Company and Town's Founding (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carson Street Landscaping (was approx. 2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Ranchos Los Alamitos - Los Cerritos - Los Coyotes (approx. 2½ miles away); “Big Red Cars” (approx. “Big Red Cars” (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named “Big Red Cars” (was approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named “Big Red Cars” (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Alamitos.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2015, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2015, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.