Near Williamsburg in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
McIntosh's parents emigrated from Inverness, Scotland to the Mohawk Valley, N.Y., and John moved to Upper Canada in 1796. In 1811 he acquired a farm near the site, and while clearing the land of second growth discovered several apple seedlings. He transplanted these, and one bore the superior fruit which became famous as the McIntosh Red apple. John's son Allan established a nursery and promoted this new species extensively. It was widely acclaimed in Ontario and the northern United States, and was introduced into British Columbia about 1910. Its popularity in North America and propagation in many lands attest the initiative and industry of John McIntosh and his descendants.
Erected 1962 by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 44° 56.425′ N, 75° 18.435′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Dundela Road and McIntosh Road, on the right when traveling west on Dundela Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg, Ontario K0C 2H0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Mahlon W. Locke (approx. 6.4 kilometers away); The Williamsburg Canals Ogden Island Mansion (approx. 11.5 kilometers away in the U.S.); The SS Mary (approx. 11.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Early Power (approx. 11.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); George Redington House (approx. 11.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); Waddington Town Hall (approx. 11.9 kilometers away in the U.S.); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 11.9 kilometers away in the U.S.).
Also see . . . Wikipedia - John McIntosh. (Submitted on October 22, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.