Gate City in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Clinch River Forts Circa 1774 marker series.
Location. 36° 38.306′ N, 82° 34.135′ W. Marker is in Gate City, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Kane Street (Business U.S. 421) east of Jones Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gate City VA 24251, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gate City (within shouting distance of this marker); Faris (Ferris) Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carter Musical Family (approx. 0.8 miles away); Donelson's Indian Line (approx. 0.8 miles away); Big Moccasin Gap (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Court of Scott County (approx. 0.8 miles away); McConnell's Birthplace (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named First Court of Scott County (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gate City.
More about this marker. This marker replaces a previous marker with the same number and title that stood a few blocks west on Route 71. That marker read, “Ten miles north, on Clinch River near the mouth of Stony Creek, stood Fort Blackmore, the first settlement in Scott County, established about 1771. It was attacked by Indians several times but was never captured.” Marker K-17 for Houston’s Fort now claims to be the location of Scott County’s first settlement.
Also see . . . Frontier Forts of Southwest Virginia. 1968 article by Emory L. Hamilton in Historical Sketches of Southwest Virginia. Scroll down for the section about Blackmore’s Fort. Excerpt: “Being more exposed it was attacked by Indians more often than Moore’s and many people were killed and captured in and around this fort. The fort stood on the north side of Clinch, just outside the village of Fort Blackmore. It was to Blackmore’s that all the people came when the forts in Powell Valley were evacuated in 1776, just prior to the outbreak of the Cherokee War, as did the people from Rye Cove Fort. It must have been of large proportions, but no one has left any known description of this fort. According to Samuel Alley who was born in sight of the fort in the year 1801, it was torn down and no vestige of it remained in 1887, when he paid a visit to his old home and found the ground where the old fort stood being tended in corn. However, nearby stood an apple tree planted by his father which to that day was known as the ‘John Alley Apple Tree’.” (Submitted on October 23, 2015.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.