Columbia County Courthouse
(Inscription below the portrait in the upper left)
Napoleon LeBrun, Architect
(Inscription beside the photo in the center left)
A Bloomsburg Pioneer-Daniel Snyder came to town and starting with very little except determination, he borrowed money to buy 26 acres of land and build a thriving tannery in 1806. He also built a 2-story home that later became the Forks Hotel, which stood from 1825 to 1875. Snyder was selected the country’s representative to the state legislature from 1841 to 1844, and played a key role in the “removal” of the seat of Columbia County from Danville to
(Inscription beside the image in the lower left)
The Susquehannock Indians were the first occupants of the Susquehanna River Valley, leaving a legacy of colorful town names such as Catwissa, Nescopeck and Shickshinny.
(Inscription beside the image in the upper center)
A Romanesque Revival Style-The courthouse design was created using a Romanesque Revival Style with Henry Hobson Richardson’s influence; brick and brown Hummelstown stone, galvanized iron cornices, rounded arches, open balcony window arcades, intricate foliage carvings and short columns. Look up at the courthouse columns and you’ll see beautiful carvings of leaves and flowers. They were influenced by the Henry Hobson Richardson design style.
Erected by Columbia County Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Location. 41° 0.183′ N, 76° 27.424′ W. Marker is in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, in Columbia County. Marker is on Main Street (US 11). Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Bloomsburg PA 17815, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia County (here, next to this marker); Pursel Store Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 225 Market Street
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 23, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.