Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Goldthwaite in Mills County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Center City Baptist Church

 
 
Center City Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
1. Center City Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. In 1875, Reverend Noah Turner Byars, a former blacksmith who served with Sam Houston during the Texas Revolution, founded this church and served as interim minister. Rev. Byars ordained David Isaac Haralson, the first permanent pastor. Byars also led the Bennett Creek Baptist Church, as it was known then, to be part of his newly-formed Hamilton County Association of Baptist Churches.
     In 1887, when the area was formed as Mills County, the church was one of the oldest in the county. It was called Center City Baptist Church in the 1901 deed and, soon after, a permanent structure was built in the newly-established community by that name. However, summer revivals were held under a brush arbor as late as 1940. In 1946, high wind destroyed the original wood frame church building and a new building was erected that included an auditorium and classrooms.
     The church was a cooperative member of the community from the beginning, sharing its building and resources with other denominations. Revivals were a part of the mission of the church from the early years. The tradition continues with special revival nights in the cooler months and longer summer revivals.
     Over the years, Center City Baptist Church ordained many deacons and ministers who went on to serve much larger churches in the area. In addition, the church has
Center City Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
2. Center City Baptist Church Marker
been very active not only in the community but worldwide through the service and support of missionaries, including missionaries to Alaska in the 1960s and 1970s. For well over a century, Center City Baptist Church has been a beacon for the surrounding area.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17851.)
 
Location. 31° 28.254′ N, 98° 24.528′ W. Marker is near Goldthwaite, Texas, in Mills County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 249 and Farm to Market Road 250, on the right when traveling north on County Road 249. Touch for map. Marker and church are at northeast corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Goldthwaite TX 76844, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Center City United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Center City Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); Center City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Goldthwaite Eagle (approx. 9.6 miles away); Dam and Well (approx. 9.6 miles away); Mills County Jail (approx. 9.6 miles away); Mills County (approx. 9.6 miles away); The Old Town Well (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goldthwaite.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
Center City Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
3. Center City Baptist Church
View to north
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement