Near Maitland in Leeds and Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Construction of Homewood was begun in 1800 by Dr. Solomon Jones, a prominent Loyalist, local officeholder and early resident of this region. With its balanced five-bay façade, centre hallway plan and classical detailing, it reflects the influence of British Palladianism, while its fieldstone construction and deeply pitched roof echo the Québec traditions of its builder, the Montréal Mason Louis Brillière. In spite of several additions, Homewood retains much of its original character and vividly reflects the way of life of a rural professional man in the early 19th century.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 44° 39.297′ N, 75° 35.216′ W. Marker is near Maitland, Ontario, in Leeds and Grenville Counties. Marker is on Provincial Highway 2 3.6 kilometers west of Blue Church Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1372 Highway 2, Maitland, Ontario K0E 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pointe Au Baril (approx. 2.7 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); St. James Church 1826 St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74 (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); Dorothy Martha Dumbrille (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O. (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); The Founding of Maitland (approx. 3 kilometers away); Dumbrille's Store (approx. 3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maitland.
Regarding Homewood. Homewood is a National Historic Site of Canada, designated as such in 1982. It is also a museum (summer hours only). It is one of the oldest houses in Ontario.
Also see . . . Parks Canada - Homewood National Historic Site of Canada. (Submitted on October 26, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.