The Mazomanie Depot
The Mazomanie Depot is the oldest wood frame depot in Wisconsin. It was built in 1857 by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad Company to replace the original depot which had been destroyed by fire earlier in the same year.
During the heyday of railroading in the late nineteenth century, two eastbound and two westbound passenger trains and several freight trains stopped daily in Mazomanie. Special excursion trains carried passengers to the larger cities. Draymen delivered freight throughout the village.
Mazomanie's first village president, John B. Stickney, served as depot agent from 1856 to 1909, a record length of employment with the Milwaukee Road at that time.
The depot underwent major remodeling in 1880 when a surrounding platform was removed and the entire building lowered. The passenger waiting rooms, one for men, the other for women and children, were moved from the west end to the east end. Due to decreasing freight traffic, the length of the depot was reduced to fifty feet in 1943. The eaves were also shortened by six feet to accommodate taller railroad cars.
After 116 years of use by the Milwaukee Road, the depot was closed in 1973. It was later sold and used for storage, as an office and shop for a community service group, and for housing. In 1993 the depot was restored to its original size and outward
[Photo captions, from top, read]
North view of Mazomanie Depot and train - about 1873
Mazomanie Depot and passenger train - about 1915
Charles Kiley and the Sauk branch engine - about 1900
Location. 43° 10.547′ N, 89° 47.66′ W. Marker is in Mazomanie, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Brodhead Street (County Road Y) and American Legion Street, on the right when traveling south on Brodhead Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mazomanie WI 53560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mazomanie Downtown Historic District (here, next to this marker); The Branch Line (here, next to this marker); Mazomanie (within shouting distance of this marker); Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ringling Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mazomanie Electric Power Plant (within shouting distance of this marker);
Also see . . .
1. Mazomanie Downtown National Register Historic District Info. (Submitted on October 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Mazomanie Free Library. (Submitted on October 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. History for Village of Mazomanie WI. (Submitted on October 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on October 28, 2015.