Maitland in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of Maitland
In this vicinity, the site of a shipyard used during both the late French and early British periods, a village plot was laid out in 1824 for Jehiel and Ziba Phillips. Adjacent to it George Longley, a recent English emigrant, acquired an estate on which St. James Anglican Church was built in 1826. Longley constructed the nearby stone windmill, opened a store and in 1828 became Maitland's first postmaster. The community, named after Sir Peregrine Maitland, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada 1818-28, was a point of access to the Rideau area and flourished during the building of the Rideau Canal 1826-32. Other local industries were soon established and by 1850 Maitland had 200 residents.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 44° 38.137′ N, 75° 36.739′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Provincial Highway 2 west of Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maitland, Ontario K0E 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dumbrille's Store (a few steps from this marker); Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O. Dorothy Martha Dumbrille (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74 (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Pointe Au Baril (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. James Church 1826 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.4 kilometers away in the U.S.); Homewood (approx. 3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maitland.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.