Maitland in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74
A.F. & A.M.
In a building on property contiguous to this site, St. James Lodge No. 74 (originally No. 40) was founded 9 February 1857. The Christian Order of Masonry, then known as the Sovereign Grand Conclave of England and Wales was instituted here 6 March 1872. Formation of the Royal Arch Masons of Upper Canada was initiated here 4 August 1875. The first recorded minutes of the St. Lawrence District Past Masters, Masters and Wardens Association were written here 20 July 1893. From its founding until it moved in 1895 to a new building in Elizabethtown Township, there were in operation from this lodge no less than 39 masonic bodies. The building was razed in 1939.
Erected by St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74 and the St. Lawrence District of the Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. of Canada.
Location. 44° 38.231′ N, 75° 36.779′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Church Street 0.1 kilometers north of Ontario Highway 2, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maitland, Ontario K0E 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dorothy Martha Dumbrille (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); St. James Church 1826 Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O. (about 150 meters away); The Founding of Maitland (about 180 meters away); Dumbrille's Store (about 180 meters away); Pointe Au Baril (about 240 meters away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.5 kilometers away in the U.S.); Homewood (approx. 2.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maitland.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.