Gananoque in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
War of 1812-1814
During the war of 1812, Gananoque was a strategic point along the St. Lawrence River corridor. All supplies heading west to support British and Canadian forces had to pass through this channel.
On September 21, 1812, a company of U.S. army rifleman under the command of Captain Benjamin Forsyth, attacked Gananoque. Their objectives were to take prisoners, including Colonel Joel Stone, commander of the 2nd Regiment of Leeds Militia, capture military stores and interrupt the British supply route.
In response to the raid, a blockhouse and naval station were constructed to protect the bateau and gunboat convoys.
Hostilities continued on both sides of the border throughout the war. Canada was successfully defended by British regulars, the Royal Navy, warriors of the First Nations and English and French-speaking militia.
On December 24, 1814 the Treaty of Ghent ended the war and Canada survived to become a free and independent country.
Erected 2012 by Joel Stone Heritage Park Committee.
Location. 44° 19.39′ N, 76° 9.724′ W. Marker is in Gananoque, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Water Street west of Market Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in Joel Stone Heritage Park, near the water.
Other nearby markers. Raid on Gananoque (approx. half a kilometer away); Gananoque (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Gananoque Town Hall (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Private John Henry (Harry) Brown (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Colonel Joel Stone (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Elizabeth Rabb Beatty (approx. 14.9 kilometers away); Thousand Islands International Bridge (approx. 15 kilometers away); The Darling Store / Le magasin Darling (approx. 16.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gananoque.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.