Temple in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Temple Public Library
In 1918, fire destroyed the building. The library reopened in 1924 and was housed in various businesses until 1929 when it moved into the municipal building. Women of the library board ran the program until the city took over in 1954.
After a new postal facility was erected in 1963 the city received this 51-year-old post office building for a library. The Renaissance Revival edifice was remodeled in 1964 using funds from a bond issue and the Carnegie Library Association. A memorial room was named for W. Goodrich Jones, one of the library’s benefactors. This facility is a member of the Central Texas Library Association and provides a full library program.
Location. 31° 5.869′ N, 97° 20.438′ W. Marker is in Temple, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Main Street and E. Adams Avenue (State Highway 53), on the right when traveling north on N. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 N. Main St, Temple TX 76501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Organization of the Texas Forestry Association (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pool of Tears Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); Bernard Moore Temple (about 700 feet away); Wilson Van Dyke (approx. 10.1 miles away); Moffat Cemetery (approx. 10.8 miles away); Bell County (approx. 11.1 miles away); Little River Fort (approx. 11.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Temple.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 4. submitted on October 28, 2015.