Cobourg in Northumberland County, Ontario — Central Canada
The cornerstone of this building was laid June 7, 1832, and teaching began in 1836. First operated under a royal charter by the Weslayan Methodists as Upper Canada Academy, in 1841 it obtained a provincial charter under the name of Victoria College, giving it power to grant degrees. Victoria's first president was the Reverend Egerton Ryerson, newspaper editor and founder of Ontario's present educational system. In 1890, the college federated with the University of Toronto and, in 1892, left Cobourg.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 43° 57.918′ N, 78° 9.867′ W. Marker is in Cobourg, Ontario, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of University Avenue East and College Street, on the left when traveling east on University Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is located to the right of the steps leading to the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 University Avenue East, Cobourg, Ontario K9A 1C8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of St. Peter (approx. half a kilometer away); William Weller (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Ryerson Walk (approx. Victoria Hall (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); a different marker also named Victoria Hall (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Cobourg and Peterborough Railway (approx. one kilometer away); The Founding of Cobourg (approx. one kilometer away); Marie Dressler (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cobourg.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.