New York City in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Paul II House
and inaugurated in the name of
His Holiness Pope John Paul II
H.E. Archbishop Leonardo Sandri
Substitute of the Secretariat of State
in the presence of
H.E. Archbishop Renato R. Martino
Apostolic Nuncio, Permanent Observer of the Holy See
to the United Nations
and President of the Path to Peace Foundation
New York, New York
20 June 2002
Location. 40° 44.949′ N, 73° 58.695′ W. Marker is in New York City, New York, in New York County. Marker is on 38th Street west of Lexington Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 38th Street, New York NY 10016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gabarron Foundation (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mary Lindley Murray (about 500 feet away); 23 Park Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Central Terminal (approx. 0.2 miles away); New York Daily News Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); "The Kneeling Fireman" (approx. 0.3 miles away); New York Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Grolier Club (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York City.
Also see . . . . The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission's 2002 report on the Murray Hill District, including descriptions of historic buildings in the district, including 123 East 38th Street: This Second Empire-style row house was speculatively-developed in 1863-65 by merchant Timothy Churchill as one in a row of five similar buildings from 115 to 123 East 38 Street. At the time, the demand for housing in New York was increasing as workers and businessmen flocked to New York City, which was transforming into a center of ship building and industrial production for the Civil War effort. Many of the houses, such as these, featured French- Renaissance-inspired mansard roofs and more-stylized Italianate motifs After completion, this house was acquired by Henry M. Harding. In 1893, the house was owned by New York District Attorney De Lancey Nicoll, who served in that position from 1890-1893. Nicoll also served as an Associate Counsel to the Interborough Rapid Transit Company. The building was extended to the rear in 1890; the extension was enlarged in 1893. Between c.1938 and the mid-1980s, the mansard roof at the attic level was expanded to a full story. Surviving historic features include the stoop with wrought-iron railings and newel posts, the pedimented entryway, the main doors, the molded window surrounds, and the window sash. (Submitted on October 29, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.