Cobourg in Northumberland County, Ontario — Central Canada
This building, designed by the architect Kivas Tully in a Victorian version of the Palladian style, is representative of the finer public buildings of mid-nineteenth century Canada. One of the most impressive town halls in Ontario, it reflects the economic optimism of the 1850's. It was constructed by the local firm of Burnett Brothers at a cost of $110,000. The cornerstone was laid by Sir Allan MacNab on December 30, 1856, and the building was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on September 7, 1860.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 43° 57.568′ N, 78° 10.074′ W. Marker is in Cobourg, Ontario, in Northumberland County. Marker is on King Street West (Provincial Highway 2) east of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 King Street West, Cobourg, Ontario K9A 2M2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Victoria Hall (a few steps from this marker); Cobourg and Peterborough Railway (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Founding of Cobourg (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); William Weller Ryerson Walk (approx. half a kilometer away); Marie Dressler (approx. half a kilometer away); Church of St. Peter (approx. half a kilometer away); Victoria College (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cobourg.
Also see . . . Cobourg History - Victoria Hall. (Submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.