Cobourg in Northumberland County, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of Cobourg
Saw and grist mills erected in this area during the first decade of the 19th century fostered the development here of a small settlement. The completion of the Kingston Road by 1817 facilitated its growth and within a decade it had a population of about 350. Known as Hamilton, then Cobourg, the community expanded rapidly as a commercial and shipping centre and as a port of entry, particularly after harbour improvements were completed in 1832. Five years later, when it was incorporated as a town under an elected Board of Police, Cobourg became the administrative center for the Newcastle District. The establishment of several industries spurred further growth and in 1850, with about 3800 residents, Cobourg was incorporated as a town under a Council and Mayor.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 43° 57.409′ N, 78° 10.037′ W. Marker is in Cobourg, Ontario, in Northumberland County. Marker is on 3rd Street 0.2 kilometers south of Albert Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located adjacent the Cobourg Marina.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cobourg and Peterborough Railway (here, next to this marker); Victoria Hall (approx. 0.3 Victoria Hall (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); William Weller (approx. half a kilometer away); Ryerson Walk (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Marie Dressler (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Church of St. Peter (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Victoria College (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cobourg.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.