Brazoria in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(South Face of Monument)
Henry Smith was born in Kentucky, May Twentieth 1788, came to Texas in 1827 and settled in what is now Brazoria County which he regarded as his home until his death. He was severely wounded in the Battle of Velasco, June 26, 1832. Alcalde of the jurisdiction of Brazoria, 1833. Delegate to the Second Convention of Texas in 1833. Political chief of the Department of the Brazos in 1834.
(North Face of Monument)
Henry Smith was a member of the Consultation and was by that body elected Governor of the Provisional Government of Texas, November 12, 1835. He was the first Secretary of the Treasury of the Republic of Texas, 1836 to 1838, and a member of the Fifth Congress of the Republic, 1840 to 1841. He died in a mining camp in Los Angeles County California, March Fourth 1851, while in search of gold.
(Rear Side of Monument)
Erected by the State of Texas 1936 with funds appropriated by the Federal Government to commemorate one hundred years of Texas independence.
(Tablet in front of Monument)
The Henry Smith home site, located on private property 3.2 miles NE from this statue, is designated by a state historical marker erected in 1936.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 2.825′ N, 95° 34.226′ W. Marker is in Brazoria, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Brooks Street (State Highway 36) and W. Smith Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Brooks Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the east grounds of the 1933 Brazoria School Civic Center & Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Brazoria TX 77422, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brazoria Fallen Heroes Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Brazoria Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Oakland Plantation (approx. 5.8 miles away); Ellerslie Plantation (approx. 5.9 miles away); M.L. Weems House (approx. 6.9 miles away); Tyler-Bryan-Weems House (approx. 7 miles away); Dance Gun Shop (approx. 7 miles away); Aldridge - Smith House (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brazoria.
More about this marker. As indicated on the base of the sculpture, the statue was sculpted by H. Villa and cast by Mario Scoma Foundry of Brooklyn, New York.
Also see . . . Henry Smith. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on October 30, 2015.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 111 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 30, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.