The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
During his walk, Clark struck the bank next to a difficult section of the river that was a gauntlet of rolling water and deadly shifting sandbars. If the boats could not pass this stretch, they would have to fall back several miles. He immediately called this stretch of the river the "worst I ever saw" (this was the forth time in as many days that he made such a statement). The expedition managed with difficulty to get through. They then pitched camp on the northern (right) shore just above the site of present-day Waverly.
The next day the crew only went another mile before stopping to make new oars and a new towrope. At this "rope walk camp", Clark noted that he "Sent out Sjt. [Nathaniel] Pryor and Some men to get ash timber for ores, and Set Some men to make a Toe Rope out of the Cords of a Cable
Many of the men were now experiencing health problems such as boils and dysentery related to the effects of drinking river water and of receiving numerous mosquito and tick bites that caused infections. Clark was angry with the complaints of the French engagés, who wanted more rest stops, and referred to them as "French higherlins." But he felt growing admiration toward his enlisted soldiers who endured the hardships of the journey without complaint.
"The countrey about this place is butifull on the river rich & well timbered on the S[tarboard or right] S[ide] about two miles back a Prarie com[mence]s which is rich and interspurud with groves of timber, the Count[r]y rises at 7 or 8 miles Still further back and is roleing- on the L[arboard or left] S[ide] the high lnads & Prarie Com[mence]s in the back of the river and Coninus back, well watered and abounds in De[e]r Elk & Bear..."
William Clark, June 17 1804
On June 16, William Clark searched for the remains of an old French fort noted on a map that Lewis and Clark carried with them on the expedition. This map was made in 1797 by a Scotsman working for the Spanish named
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 39° 12.799′ N, 93° 31.028′ W. Marker is in Waverly, Missouri, in Lafayette County. Marker is on Main Street when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located where Main Street meets the Missouri River. Marker is in this post office area: Waverly MO 64096, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port of Waverly (here, next to this marker); Gen. Joseph O. Shelby Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Santa Fe Trail (approx. 9.4 miles away); Court House Bell (approx. 10 miles away); General James Shields (approx. 10.1 miles away); a different marker also named General James Shields (approx. 11.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.9 miles away).
Categories. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 9, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.