Near Knoxville in Blount County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
James Gillespy's Fort
About 2 miles northeast. Attacked Oct. 13, 1788, by 300 Indians under John Watts, the half breed. Defenders held out until ammunition was exhausted. 28 were taken prisoner; 17 slaughtered and bodies burned. Thereafter the locality was called the Burnt Station.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1E 18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 48.723′ N, 83° 58.992′ W. Marker is near Knoxville, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of Alcoa highway (Tennessee Route 129) and Cusick Road, on the right when traveling north on Alcoa highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alcoa TN 37701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sam Houston Schoolhouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); Craig Fort - 1785 (approx. 3.8 miles away); John Craig's Fort (approx. 3.8 miles away); Maryville During the Civil War (approx. 3.9 miles away); Where Houston Enlisted (approx. 3.9 New Providence Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); William Bennett Scott, Sr. (approx. 4.1 miles away); Maryville College (approx. 4.1 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 10, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.