Cokeville in Lincoln County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Mormon Church sent the first permanent settlers to the area in 1874 to found a community. Sylvanus Collett and Robert Gee arrived with their families at the Smiths Fork River, soon to be followed by the John Bourne family. The men trapped, hunted, and traded hides, fur, and extra meat for supplies in Evanston, Wyoming about 70 miles south. The trip to Evanston was arduous; winter journeys were sometimes made on the frozen Bear River. The launching of the Oregon Shoreline in 1881 made travel easier. The railroad stimulated trade, changing the center of the main settlement to the vicinity of the tracks.
Prior to 1908, Cokeville consisted of two saloons, a hotel, a general store, and boarding houses. In the next nine years it incorporated and added a state bank, a newspaper, a water system, and electric lighting.
Erected by Wyoming State Archives and Historical Department.
Location. 42° 5.394′ N, 110° 56.976′ W. Marker is in Cokeville, Wyoming, in Lincoln County. Marker is on U.S. 30 at milepost 11 near East Main Street (Wyoming Highway 232), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cokeville WY 83114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Oregon Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); State Boundary Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oregon Trail 1847 (approx. 9.9 miles away); Golden Anniversary 1940 (approx. 9.9 miles away); Thomas Fork (approx. 10½ miles away in Idaho).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.