Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santiago de Querétaro in Municipality of Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Temple and Old Convent of San Agustin

Templo y Antiguo Convento de San Agustin

 
 
Temple and Old Convent of San Agustin Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 29, 2015
1. Temple and Old Convent of San Agustin Marker
Inscription.
Se trata de una de las obras más admirables que construyera la orden de San Agustín en la Nueva España, durante el esplendor barroco del siglo XVII. Por licencia pontificia y cédula real, en 1728 se fundó el convento agustiniano de Querétaro.
Su fábrica se atribuye a Ignacio Mariano de las Casas y al padre Luis Martínez Lucio. En 1745, se bendijo y consagró el Templo por el Arzobispo de México, Juan Antonio de Vizarrón y Eguiarreta, bajo la advocación de María Santísima de los Dolores.
El antiguo Convento fue restaurado en 1889, para albergar oficinas de la federación y desde 1988 es la sede del Museo de Arte de Querétaro.

English:
This is one of the most splendid churches which the order of San Agustin built in New Spain during the marvelous baroque period of the 18th century. Its courtyard is one of the most magnificent in Latin America. By Pontifical license and royal charter the Augustinian monastery of Queretaro was founded in 1728.
Its construction is attributed to Ignacio Mariano de las Casas and Father Luis Martinez Lucio. In 1745 the Archbishop of Mexico, Juan Antonio de Vizarron y Eguiarreta, consecrated the Church dedicating it to Our Lady of Sorrows.
The former monastery was restored in 1889 to house federal offices. Since 1988 it has been the Art Museum of Queretaro.
 
Location.
Temple and Old Convent of San Agustin Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 29, 2015
2. Temple and Old Convent of San Agustin Marker
20° 35.455′ N, 100° 23.609′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro, in Municipality of Querétaro. Marker is at the intersection of Allende Sur and José María Pino Suárez, on the left when traveling north on Allende Sur. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain Julian Diaz House (within shouting distance of this marker); The House of the Marquesa (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Church of the Monastery of Santa Clara de Jesus (about 120 meters away); Temple of the Ex-Convent of Santa Clara de Jesus (about 150 meters away); Vicente Guerrero Garden (about 180 meters away); Convent and Temple of Santo Domingo de Guzman (about 180 meters away); Vicente Guerrero (about 180 meters away); José M. Arteaga (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Man-Made Features
 
Temple and Old Convent of San Agustin image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 29, 2015
3. Temple and Old Convent of San Agustin
The marker is at the far right in front of the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   3. submitted on November 12, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement