Greeneville in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
George Clem School
1887 - 1965
In 1887, with assistance from the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, the George Clem School was organized as Greeneville College. In 1932, the Greeneville Board of Education leased the property to provide public education for Negroes. Three years later, George Clem was appointed principal. Consisting of grades one through ten, the school was renamed Greeneville College High School. In 1937, the 11th grade was added. A year later, the school became an accredited four-year school. In 1939, the city purchased the school and renamed in the George Clem School. A decade later, the original building was demolished and the present building was erected in 1950. The school closed in 1965 when the public schools desegregated, and it became the location of the Greeneville City Schools Central Office.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C 85.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 9.878′ N, 82° 50.399′ W. Marker is in Greeneville, Tennessee, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of West Summer Street (Business U.S. 11E) and Floral Street, on the left when traveling west on West Summer Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greeneville TN 37743, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bridge Burners (approx. 0.2 miles away); James H. Quillen United States Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Opera House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dickson - Williams Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Andrew Johnson and Family (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Dickson - Williams Mansion (approx. half a mile away); Death of Gen. John Hunt Morgan (approx. half a mile away); General Morgan Inn (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greeneville.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.