Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The College Hospital
"No voice of speaker, student, or stranger was heard in our halls... Instead the voice of prayer, the cry of the wounded, and the groans of the dying." - Dr. Heny L. Baugher, College President, 1850-1868
When Michael Culver, Class of 1863, returned to the Edifice (Pennsylvania Hall) after the Battle of Gettysburg, the building scarcely resembled the one he had left just days earlier. "All rooms, halls and hallways were occupied with the poor deluded sons of the South," he wrote. "The moans, prayers and shrieks of the wounded and dying were heard everywhere." Confederate troops had occupied the campus on the first day of the battle, converting the Edifice into a field hospital. Throughout the course of July, the building would house between 500 and 900 wounded men, many of whom perished within its walls.
Like much of Gettysburg, the scene at the College gave testimony to the battle's terrible toll. Soldiers, "maimed in every conceivable way by every kind of weapon and missile," filled every room and hallway. Surgeons, nurses and volunteers hurried from one man to the next, offering what little help and comfort they could. Blood stained the floors and piles of amputated limbs grew. The bodies of the dead filled hastily-made grave on College grounds.
By August, the wounded were evacuated and
Among the volunteers who flooded Gettysburg after the battle was Euphemia Goldsborough of Baltimore, Maryland. First stationed at the Edifice, Euphemia went to great, even dangerous, lengths to serve the Southern cause. In one instance, she smuggled a pair of boots into the Edifice for a wounded Confederate, an act strictly forbidden by the federal government. Men who lived to thank Euphemia did so vehemently. One lieutenant wrote that because of her care, his "College Days" were "the green spot of the days of my captivity".
At the Edifice, Euphemia supported an unconscious Confederate colonel for an entire night in an effort to keep him upright and prevent suffocation.
According to legend, Confederate General Robert E. Lee climbed the Edifice's cupola to survey the battlefield before ordering Pickett's Charge.
The U.S. Sanitary Commission stationed nurses and officers at both Union and Confederate hospitals, including the Edifice. This photograph of Commission members was taken at Gettysburg.
Erected by Gettysburg College.
Location. 39° 50.089′ N, 77° 14.077′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Penn Hall Drive west of North Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located south of Pennsylvania Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S.A. Signal Station (a few steps from this marker); The Battle Arrives (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel Alexander Payne (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Founding of Gettysburg College (about 600 feet away); Dwight D. Eisenhower (about 600 feet away); "... you know nothing about the lesson anyhow." (about 700 feet away); The Office of a President (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Dwight D. Eisenhower (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2015, by Bill Donovan of Maplewood, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2015, by Bill Donovan of Maplewood, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.