Near Buckholts in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established as an
Indian trading post by
Major Benjamin F. Bryant,
frontiersman who had commanded
a company in the Battle of
Appointed Indian agent in 1842 by
President of the Republic of Texas
Little River crossing on
trail and stage routes,
U.S. post office, 1848-1874
Erected by the State of Texas
(Bronze tablet mounted to marker)
Major Bryantís home and trading post stood six miles southeast of this marker.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 7939.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 54.62′ N, 97° 11.052′ W. Marker is near Buckholts, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on U.S. 190 0.2 miles from County Road 104, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the roadside picnic area. Marker is in this post office area: Buckholts TX 76518, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway Donahoe Community (approx. 10.9 miles away); Sharp Presbyterian Church (approx. 11.1 miles away); Saint Michael's Catholic Church (approx. 13.1 miles away); Friendship Community (approx. 15.6 miles away); City of Temple (approx. 15.9 miles away); Site of Organization of the Texas Forestry Association (approx. 15.9 miles away); Temple Public Library (approx. 15.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Bryant Station, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on November 16, 2015.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.