Passing Through Murfreesboro
The majority of Cherokee were literate in the Cherokee language and many spoke and wrote in English, but few chose to leave a record of their experiences of the Trail of Tears. Most of the records that survived were left by American missionaries or soldiers who sometimes accompanied the Cherokee. Captain B.B. Cannon of the Tennessee Volunteer Infantry, who traveled with a group of Cherokee a year before the forced removal, described passing through the Murfreesboro area.
Oct. 24, 1837, Marched at 1/2 after 7 co. A.M. arrived at Mr. Yearwood’s at 4 oc. P.M. rained last night and to day made 15 miles. Issued corn & fodder, cornmeal and bacon.
Oct. 25, 1837, Marched at 800 buried Andrews child at 9 1/2 oc. A.M. Passed through Murfreesboro and arrived at overalls Creek 4 oc. P.M. 14 miles today. Issued corn and fodder.
Trail of Tears by Brummett Echohawk
Marker series. This marker is included in the Trail of Tears marker series.
Location. 35° 52.835′ N, 86° 26.07′ W. Marker is in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker can be reached from 3501 Old Nashville Highway. Touch for map. Located at the along the sidewalk behind the Visitor Center of Stones River National Battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Murfreesboro TN 37129, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Charge Kept Coming, Coming Like the Sea (here, next to this marker); Their Longest, Coldest New Year’s Eve (here, next to this marker); God has granted us a Happy New Year! (a few steps from this marker); Why Fight Here? (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle at Stones River (within shouting distance of this marker); Stand Fast! (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chicago Board of Trade Battery (about 300 feet away); This "Precious Dust" (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murfreesboro.
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2015, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2015, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.