Sandusky Aviation, Shipyard & Railroad
Weldon B. Cooke, Thomas W. Benoist, Reinhardt N. Asumus experimented in early aviation from this site 1912 - 1927.
One of Sandusky Shipyard Sites Sail and Steamboats were built 1864-1933 Among the builders were: Moss Brothers & Merry, George Fordham, John Monk, Joseph Pouliot and Lake Erie Drydock Co.
Ohio's First Railroad The Mad River and Lake Erie began building at this site September 15, 1835. William Henry Harrison officiated.
Erected 1971 by Erected by Erie County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 27.655′ N, 82° 42.185′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on E Water St,, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 E Water St, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shoreline Park (approx. ¼ mile away); The Underground Railroad / Abolition Boats Provide an Escape to Freedom in Erie County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kilbourne Plat (approx. half a mile away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. half
Categories. • Air & Space • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2015, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 18, 2015, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.