An Industry in Ruins
Greenwood Furnace State Park
After furnace #2 closed in 1904, workers dismantled abandoned structures, relocated some, and salvaged the wood from others. Vegetation gradually engulfed the two stone stacks that you see today.
Not until 1936, when the Civilian Conservation Corps stabilized stack #2 (the ruin on the right), did the most striking reminder of the local iron-making legacy re-emerge. Forty years later, archeologists investigated the ruins of stack#1 (the ruin on the left).
In the course of a few years the charcoal furnace (Greenwood Furnace) in the township will likely cease operations on account of the scarcity of accessible timber.
Letter published in the Semi Weekly News, Huntingdon, PA, February 13, 1902.
(Inscriptions under the images in the bottom-left to right)
Greenwood Furnace in about 1890, twelve years before it ceased operations. In the 1920s, stacks 1 and 2 stood like oversize tombstones, slowly crumbling memorials to the age of rural iron furnaces.
Erected by Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks.
Location. 40° 39.108′ N, 77° 45.205′ W. Marker is in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, in Huntingdon County. Marker is on Broad Mountain Road. Touch for map. This marker in in Greenwood Furnace State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Huntingdon PA 16652, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. From Mineral To Metal (here, next to this marker); An Undeniable Presence (here, next to this marker); The “Best” Iron (here, next to this marker); Basic Ingredients (a few steps from this marker); The Worker’s Pyramid (a few steps from this marker); Greenwood Furnace (a few steps from this marker); Blacksmith & Wagon Shop (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northern Water Snakes (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntingdon.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.