Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of First Baptist Church / Baptist Seminary
In 1825, Wm. Bullein Johnson opened a subscription for a Baptist meetinghouse, which was soon built here. The 120 foot-square lot, which extended well into present McBee Ave., was given by Vardry McBee. After its organization in 1832, First Baptist Church occupied the building here until it moved to West McBee Ave. The church moved to its present location on Cleveland Street in 1974.
Erected by First Baptist Church, Greenville
When Southern Baptist Theological Seminary was organized in 1859, the old Baptist church building once located here was divided into two classrooms and library for the school's use. First faculty was James Petigru Boyce, John A. Broadus, Basil Manly, Jr., and William Williams. Crawford H. Toy and William H. Whitsitt joined before the seminary moved to Louisville, Ky. in 1877.
Erected by South Carolina Baptist Historical Society
Erected 1987 by First Baptist Church, Greenville / South Carolina Baptist Historical Society. (Marker Number 23-20.)
Location. 34° 50.931′ N, 82° 23.818′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Carolina's First National Bank (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Record Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vardry McBee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Poinsett's Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stradley and Barr Dry Goods Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chamber of Commerce Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); In 1825 (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named South Carolina's First National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,096 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.