Dungannon in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Saving the Historic Building. In 1977, the Dungannon Womens Club asked Clinchfield to donate the abandoned Depot for preservation. The Railroad agreed, provided the Depot was moved off railroad property. The Dungannon Town Council contributed land in the center of town. In 1978, the Women's Club moved the Depot, renovated it, and began to use it as a community center. In 2009, the Women's Club gave the Depot the Town of Dungannon for town hall and community use. On March 18, 2010, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources listed the Dungannon Depot on the Virginia Landmarks Register.
The railroad, now part of the CSX system, continues to be used to haul coal, timber and other freight. And just before Thanksgiving each year, the famous “Santa
Dungannon Womens Club, from 1977–1992: Darlene Adkins Lillian Banner – Charter Frankie Beard Cornelia Bevins Becky Bingman – Charter Anne Lee Blackwell – Charter Mary Blankenship Jackie Brown – Charter Judy Blevins Jenny Castle Alice Coblentz Barbara Collins Edna Compton Glenna Corder Vonda Corder Bertha Crites Teresa Culbertson Patty Dingus – Charter Barbara Dockery Cara Sue Dockery – Charter Wanda Duncan Maria Exner Lola Farrmer – Charter Lou Ann Farmer Margaret Feirabend Kate Flannery – Charter Joann Grizzle Peggy Hensley Carol Hill Donna Hillman Mildred Hillman – Charter Myrtle Horton – Charter Emily Johnson – Charter Juanita Kalat – Charter Krista Kern Ruth Kern Mary Lane – Charter Naomi Lane Marcella Lell – Charter Anne Leibig – Charter Helen Lewis – Charter Lillian Lucas – Charter Marie Mann – Charter Cora McKinney Shirley Moore Cathy Nickels Charlotte Nickels – Charter Anna Ruth Osborne – Charter Joyce Osborne – Charter Julie Osborne – Charter Margaret Osborne – Charter Merry
Deceased Members: Lola Farmer Cora McKinney Anna Ruth Osborne Kate Roberts Jean Salling
Erected by Virginia Coal Heritage Trail and National Scenic Byways Program.
Location. 36° 49.655′ N, 82° 28.122′ W. Marker is in Dungannon, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Veterans Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 65) east of Virginia Route 72, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18933 Veterans Memorial Hwy, Dungannon VA 24245, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flanary Archaeological Site (here, next to this marker); Patrick Hagan and Dungannon (a few steps from this marker); Patrick Porter (a few steps from this marker); Kilgore Fort House
(approx. 6.6 miles away); Early Settlers in Russell County (approx. 7.7 miles away); Moores Fort (approx. 7.9 miles away); Coeburn (approx. 8 miles away); Houstons Fort (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dungannon.
More about this marker. This interpretative panel has five illustrations. In the Upper left is a map captioned “1905 map shows the route and construction progress.” To the right is a photo captioned “Station master flagged trains with hand operated signal.” Below is color photograph captioned “A passenger train approachign Dungannon.” On the right is a large photograph captioned “In 1912, passengers approach the depot to board the train,” and above that is an image of the Clinchfield Railroad logo, that reads “Quick Service Short Line between the Central West & South East.”
Also see . . . Dungannon Depot. “The present Depot was built by hand beginning in 1910 and completed in 1912 with Jack White as carpenter foremen . It had two large waiting rooms taht was marked “colored” (Submitted on November 25, 2015.)
1. October 15, 2015: CSX Announces Closure of the Clinchfield Route
CSX blamed “the combination of low natural gas prices and regulatory action [that] has significantly decreased CSXs coal movements over the past four years, with more than $1 billion in coal revenue declines during that time.”
— Submitted November 25, 2015.
2. December 1925 Timetable for Dungannon
Dungannon was on the Clinchfield Routes Main line from Elkhorn City Kentucky to Spartanburg South Carolina. In 1925, Train No.38 made that run southbound in 12 hours, stopping at Dungannon at 8:40 AM. The return train from Spartanburg, No. 37, stopped at Dungannon at 8:10 PM. The timetable states that a Pullman parlor-buffet car is operated on these two trains. The parlor was where first-class passengers sat, while anyone who could pay could buy meals and (soft) drinks at the buffet section of the car.
A second daily train to and from Elkhorn City, No. 39, originated at Erwin, just south of Johnson City at 8:00 AM. It stopped at Dungannon at 11:36 AM and arrived at Elkhorn City at 2:35, where a Chesapeake and Ohio train with the same number left at 5:10 for Ashland Kentucky the junction with the C&O main line. The Clinchfield train turned around as train No. 36, heading off south after the arrival of the C&O train with the same number from Ashland. It stopped at Dungannon at 5:08 PM.
In Ashland, passengers could connect with C&O trains to to Chicago, St. Louis and points west, or Washington, New York and points north. In Johnson City connections with Southern Railways could take you to Knoxville and Chattanooga. And at Spartanburg, Southerns main line had trains to Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans and points south and west.
— Submitted November 25, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 25, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.