Near Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Peter's Prairie School
After Peter’s Prairie and Fikes schools consolidated in 1921, a new three-room school was built from masonry blocks poured and formed on Ms. Anna Martin’s property on the Llano River and hauled here by wagon. The grounds included a water well, playground, and courts for basketball, volleyball and tennis. Mason County’s championship tennis tradition started here, introduced by Walter Adkins. Helen Sell Tallent, who played here, was an inaugural inductee of the Texas Tennis Coaches Association Hall of Fame. Peter’s Prairie taught
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17658.)
Location. 30° 53.672′ N, 99° 17.005′ W. Marker is near Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is on U.S. 87 half a mile south of Ranch to Market Road 1222, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mason TX 76856, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Camp San Saba (approx. 7.2 miles away); Old Fort Mason (approx. 9.2 miles away); Two Sheriffs of Mason County (approx. 10.1 miles away); Site of Fort Mason (approx. 11.1 miles away); Mason County (approx. 11.6 miles away); Todd Mountain Dizenia Peters Todd (approx. 14.2 miles away); Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery (approx. 14.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 25, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.