St. Mary’s City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish
In 1695 the Capital was removed from Saint Mary’s City to Annapolis and the State House came to be a place of Church of England worship.
In 1720 the General Assembly vested the State House and its grounds in the Rector and Vestry of William and Mary Parish, and it became the chapel of the parish until 1829, when it was razed and the bricks used to build the present church, nearby, which in 1861 became the parish church of the newly created Saint Mary’s Parish.
“Lord, Thou hast been our refuge from one generation to another.”
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Saint Mary's City marker series.
Location. 38° 11.247′ N, 76° 26.112′ W. Marker is in St. Mary’s City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Trinity Church Road near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5). Touch for map. It is to the left of the church door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47477 Trinity Church Road, Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leonard Calvert (within shouting distance of this marker); Here Lyeth The Body Entrance to First State House of Maryland (within shouting distance of this marker); The First State House of Maryland (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Entrance to First State House of Maryland (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary’s City.
More about this marker. Quote is from Psalm 90, first verse.
Regarding Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish. Adjacent, but not otherwise associated with St. Mary’s College of Maryland, it shares its parking lot with the college.
A replica of Maryland’s first State House has been built next door in at the Historic St. Mary’s City Museum of History and Archeology.
Also see . . . Parish History. by Christiane Marks, and the Parish Historical Committee: Millie Fletcher, Erma Sandidge, and Gale Burwell. (Submitted on April 1, 2007.)
Additional keywords. Trinity Espicopal Church
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,020 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 1, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.