Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saltville in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saltville

 
 
Saltville Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
1. Saltville Marker
Inscription. Saltville is named for the vast salt deposits that exist under this valley. The commercial salt industry began developing here in the 1780s. During the Civil War, Saltville played a vital role in providing salt for the Confederacy, On 2 Oct. 1864 Confederate forces defeated Federal troops, while on 20 Dec. 1864 Union forces led by Maj Gen George Stoneman damaged the saltworks operation. The Mathieson Alkali Works opened here in 1892 and produced a variety of products using salt and other mineral resources from the area. The General Assembly officially incorporated Saltville as a town in 1896.
 
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number KB-6.)
 
Location. 36° 52.648′ N, 81° 46.063′ W. Marker is in Saltville, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is on West Main Street (Virginia Route 91) north of Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saltville VA 24370, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Saltville Valley (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle at Cedar Branch (approx. 1.3 miles away); Sulphur Springs Church and Campground (approx.
Saltville Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
2. Saltville Marker
6.5 miles away); Chilhowie (approx. 7.2 miles away); Town House (approx. 7.2 miles away); Farthest West, 1750 (approx. 7.2 miles away); a different marker also named Chilhowie (approx. 7.4 miles away); Transportation Through the Ages (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saltville.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced a previous marker here with the same title and number which read, “The land, patented by Charles Campbell in 1783, passed to the wife of General Francis Preston. General William Russell began saltmaking here in 1788; Thomas Madison directed the work in 1790. William King greatly enlarged the works. In 1861-64 the Confederate government obtained salt here. In October, 1964, Stoneman destroyed the salt works. The town was incorporated in 1894.”
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry. “Saltville was named for the salt marshes in the area. Prior to European settlement, these marshes attracted local wildlife. Excavations at the SV-2 archaeological site in the area have recovered several well
View of Saltville from the Saltville Overlook on Route 107 image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats
3. View of Saltville from the Saltville Overlook on Route 107
Click on image to zoom in.
preserved skeletons of now extinct species dating back to the last ice age. Indigenous peoples of varying cultures hunted at the marshes. The historic Native American people in the area were the Chisca.” (Submitted on November 29, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNatural ResourcesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 28, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement