Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Philosophić et Scientić Domus
In 1798 it became the home of Dr. Caspar Wistar the great Physician devoted to Scientific work. Dr. Wistar succeeded Mr. Jefferson as President of the American Philosophical Society.
Members of the Philosophical Society met weekly here as the guests of Dr. Wistar and upon his death in 1818, formed the society in his memory known as “The Wistar Party,” meetings of which still continue to be held.
Location. 39° 56.761′ N, 75° 8.898′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of Locust Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on Locust Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caspar Wistar (here, next to this marker); Old St. Mary's (within shouting distance of this marker); Manuel Torres (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Place You Tread is Holy Ground-” (within shouting distance of this Honor the Immortal Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Mary Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Barry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. It is the nearby Caspar Wistar marker.
Additional keywords. Philosophae et Scientiae Domus
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,212 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.