Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dimmitt in Castro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Castro County Courthouses

 
 
Castro County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Castro County Courthouses Marker
Inscription. This site was set aside as the Dimmitt town square in 1891, the year Castro County was formally organized. Temporary court facilities were set up in J. N. Morrison's office while the first courthouse was built. An ornate two-story structure, it burned in 1906 after being hit by lightning. A brick courthouse with a central dome, built in 1908, was dedicated at a community picnic. It served until the 1930s, but was razed to make room for the present stone building. Built with Works Progress Administration labor, Castro County's third courthouse opened in 1939.

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 758.)
 
Location. 34° 33.043′ N, 102° 18.736′ W. Marker is in Dimmitt, Texas, in Castro County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broadway and East Bedford Street, on the right when traveling north on South Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Bedford Street, Dimmitt TX 79027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Shoot-out on Jones Street
Castro County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Castro County Courthouses Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gilbreath-Cowsert House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Summerfield-Dameron Corner (approx. 5.6 miles away); The J. W. Carter Family and the 7-Up Ranch (approx. 12.9 miles away); Prisoner of War Camp Chapel (approx. 13.7 miles away); P.O.W. Camp Chapel (approx. 14.9 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Castro County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
3. Castro County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 30, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement