Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Father of the American Navy
Born in Co. Wexford Ireland
March 25, 1745
First captain of the first ship owned by the Continental Congress. Continuous in his service during the entire period of the Revolution. Supreme Commander of the entire naval force of the colonies in the War for Independence. Appointed by President Washington to the highest rank and first in command of the Navy of the United States.
He died in Philadelphia September 3, 1803 and is buried in the adjoining churchyard.
This tablet is erected by the Wexford "98" Association of Philadelphia as a gratefull tribute to the memory of their illustrious countryman.
Location. 39° 56.74′ N, 75° 8.904′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and St. James Place, on the right when traveling south on 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church ( a few steps from this marker); Old St. Mary Cemetery ( a few steps from this marker); Old St. Mary's ( a few steps from this marker); Manuel Torres ( a few steps from this marker); “The Place You Tread is Holy Ground-” ( a few steps from this marker); Honor the Immortal Dead ( a few steps from this marker); Caspar Wistar ( within shouting distance of this marker); Philosophić et Scientić Domus ( within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Other markers at St. Mary's church and cemetery.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Government • Military • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then and 42 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.