Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Del Carmen Convent

Convento del Carmen

 
 
The Del Carmen Convent Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 31, 2015
1. The Del Carmen Convent Marker
Inscription.
Movido por Santa Teresa de Jesús, fue el provincial de la reforma teresiana del Carmelo quien acompañado por 11 religiosos más llegaron el 11 de julio de 1585 al puerto de San Juan de Ulúa, Nueva España, y el 27 de Septiembre del mismo año a la Ciudad de México. Es hasta 1615 que se inicia la construcción del convento en la huerta de Chimalistac, por fray Andrés de san Miguel concluyendo la iglesia y el convento en dos años bajo la advocación de San Ángelo Mártir, por lo que al pueblo que se formó a partir de su establecimiento se le llamó San Angel.

English translation:
Moved by the example of Saint Theresa of Avila, the head of the Theresians del Carmelo, accompanied by 11 other religious members arrived on July 11, 1585 at the port San Juan de Ulúa, New Spain (near present day Veracruz). On September 27 of the same year they arrived in Mexico City. In 1615 construction began on their convent in the garden of Chimalistac, under Friar Andrés de San Miguel, finishing the convent and church in two years in the name of San Angelo Martyr, which is why the neighborhood that formed around it was called San Angel.
 
Location. 19° 20.744′ N, 99° 11.446′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Touch for map. The marker is
The Del Carmen Convent Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 31, 2015
2. The Del Carmen Convent Marker
in Plaza del Carmen at the intersections of Calles Amargura and Del Carmen, near the central fountain. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 01060, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dolphin House/House of the Marquess of Sierra Nevada (a few steps from this marker); General José Frontera (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Parish of San Jacinto (about 210 meters away); Tribute to John Riley (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The Saint Patrick Battalion (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); House of Hernán Cortés (approx. 3 kilometers away); Agustín Lara (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Octavio Nicolás Fernández Vilchis (approx. 3.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
The Del Carmen Convent image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 31, 2015
3. The Del Carmen Convent
The ex-Convent del Carmen is directly across the street from the marker and the Del Carmen Plaza and is now the Del Carmen Museum, specializing in colonial era art.
The inscription on the cross's base mentions that the cross is from the 17th century and was part of the convent and church's original construction. It was moved to this location on September 8, 1909 as a way to preserve it as a monument to antiquity.
The Del Carmen Convent Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 31, 2015
4. The Del Carmen Convent Marker
This additional marker to the left of the entrance to the Museum del Carmen is dedicated to the convent and church's builder Andrés de San Miguel and the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the Carmelite Order in Mexico (1585-1985).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 2, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement