Near Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created April 11, 1846, organized
July 13, 1846, named in honor of
General James Smith
pioneer soldier and stateman,
friend of General Sam Houston,
Thomas J. Rusk and J. Pinckney
Born September 10, 1792
Died December 25, 1855
Buried with military honors
Tyler, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 7756.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 21.713′ N, 95° 23.51′ W. Marker is near Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 64 and Dixie Drive (County Road 1143), on the right when traveling west on State Highway 64. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasant Retreat United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Wood-Verner Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Major John Dean House (approx. 3.7 miles away); Smith County Rose Industry and the Tyler Rose Garden Butler College (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Patterson Home (approx. 4½ miles away); Judge Stockton P. Donley (approx. 4.8 miles away); Richard Bennett Hubbard (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
More about this marker. As a part of the 1936 Texas Centennial, the Texas Highway Department placed county markers like this one for every county. This Highway had been built in 1915 as a part of the transcontinental Dixie Overland Highway.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.