Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Patterson Home

 
 
The Patterson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 5, 2015
1. The Patterson House Marker
Inscription. This structure began as a dog-trot log cabin erected before 1854 by John Lollar and later owned by pioneer doctor J.C. Moore. It was sold in 1871 to John M. Patterson (1817-94) and acquired in 1880 by his son, John P. Patterson (1847-1911). In 1882 the second floor was added and the exterior decorated with Victorian detailing. The house was then the center of a large farm. Owned (1975) by Pearl Patterson, it has housed the Patterson family for over 100 years.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975

 
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7749.)
 
Location. 32° 21.343′ N, 95° 18.908′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of West Oakwood Street and North Confederate Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Oakwood Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1311 W Oakwood St, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Judge Stockton P. Donley (approx. 0.4 miles away); Richard Bennett Hubbard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colonel Bryan Marsh / Texas Civil War Manufacturing
The Patterson House image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 5, 2015
2. The Patterson House
(approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church of Tyler (approx. 0.8 miles away); Marvin Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Goodman Home, 1857 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement