Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Marvin Methodist Church
Present church, erected 1890 (now Tyler's oldest church), was named in 1891 to honor Bishop Enoch Mather Marvin (1823-1877), C.S.A. Chaplain, famed in Missouri and Texas for powerful sermons.
Building was expanded 1923, 1942, 1952. Church has had 45 pastors.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7741.)
Location. 32° 21.034′ N, 95° 18.175′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of South Bois d'Arc Avenue and West Erwin Street, on the right when traveling south on South Bois d'Arc Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 W Erwin St, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler Commercial College Tyler Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tyler Commercial College (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tyler Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away); Gov. Richard B. Hubbard (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church of Tyler (about 500 feet away); Senator Thomas Glover Pollard (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Also see . . . Marvin United Methodist Church. (Submitted on December 7, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.