Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hale Center in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Hale Center

 
 
First Baptist Church of Hale Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. First Baptist Church of Hale Center Marker
Inscription. Organized religion in Hale County can be traced to 1883, when Methodist minister Horatio Graves and his family became the first permanent settlers of the area. Their home became a community gathering place, school, and Union church. A post office was established under the name Epworth in 1884. A second community, Hale City, was established two miles away, and in 1893 the two settlements combined to form Hale Center.

In 1891 twelve people gathered together to form Hale City Missionary Baptist Church. They called the Rev. I.B. Kimbrough as their first pastor. Early worship serviced were held in the Epworth and Hale City schoolhouses, and in 1893 the congregation moved to Hale Center. Services were held in the schoolhouse and in the Methodist church until the First Baptist sanctuary was completed in 1908. Continued growth over the years led to subsequent building programs.

Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church has played an active role in its community. The congregation has consistently maintained an interest in both foreign and domestic missionary endeavors. It continues to serve the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1637.)
 
Location.
First Baptist Church of Hale Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. First Baptist Church of Hale Center Marker
34° 3.79′ N, 101° 50.907′ W. Marker is in Hale Center, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of West 6th Street and Avenue H, on the right when traveling east on West 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 West 6th Street, Hale Center TX 79041, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nils Akeson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Epworth (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. Frank Norfleet (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ranching and Farming in Hale County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Snyder Community (approx. 9.3 miles away); Hale County (approx. 10.4 miles away); Halfway (approx. 10.5 miles away); Plainview Cemetery and Memorial Park (approx. 11 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hale Center.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Baptist Church of Hale Center image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
3. First Baptist Church of Hale Center
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement