Hale Center in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J. Frank Norﬂeet
(1865 - 1967)
Norfleet married Mattie Eliza Hudgins (1871-1972) in 1894 and they had four children. In 1905 after years of frugality, the Norfleets moved to their own land located on the east boundary of Spade Ranch. In time their holdings grew to 20,000 acres.
In 1905 the Panhandle Short Line Railroad from Vega to Lubbock was begun through the new town named for Norfleet. The site lay 10 miles west of Hale Center. Soon a school called Norfleet was moved in and houses and stores appeared. Due to competition and lack of funds, the railroad was abandoned and the town died soon after.
In 1919, while in Dallas, Norfleet was swindled out of $45,000 by a bunco gang. Enraged at losing his savings, he spent almost five years searching the United States, Mexico, Canada and Havana, Cuba, for the five thieves. His determination won him the nickname of "Little Tiger". After the capture which reportedly netted about 75 other confidence ring members, he wrote "Norfleet", a book about his adventures.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2663.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is on the northeast corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 Main Street, Hale Center TX 79041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Epworth (here, next to this marker); Nils Akeson (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Hale Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ranching and Farming in Hale County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Snyder Community (approx. 9.1 miles away); Hale County (approx. 10.2 miles away); Halfway (approx. 10½ miles away); Plainview Cemetery and Memorial Park (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hale Center.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.